Monday, August 3, 2009



I selected oak cabinets and poppy colored countertops to coordinate with a wallpaper pattern I had chosen. (Keep in mind this was the late 70's) Although the floor is not visible in the pictures, the thought of it jogs my most vivid memory of the kitchen rehab. I saw this vinyl floor in a magazine ad and was convinced it was the perfect compliment to the rest of the color scheme. Tiny patches of blue, terra cotta, brown, and a golden yellow formed an intricate starburst pattern resembling a delicate hand stitched patchwork quilt. At the time I thought it was stunning! But as badly as I wanted this flooring material, I knew I had an entire house to finish and I needed to be practical and stay within budget. So when my brother left to pick up the flooring material at the discount remnant shop, I asked him to look for something in a brick color as I knew it would be satisfactory. (well, sort of.) He returned with a long face and told me he was unable to find what I wanted but said he picked out something else that would probably work. Then he carried in the gorgeous pattern I had seen in the magazine. Turns out someone had custom ordered it and then decided against it. I had the exact flooring I dreamed of having in the exact color and pattern that matched my kitchen and I had it for the discount price. When it was installed, I danced around the empty room in stocking feet on that shiny new floor and the floor seemed as happy to be there as I was to have it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment